High Peaks Hospice Mission
The mission of High Peaks Hospice is to provide end of life care that listens with respect, cares with compassion, supports with choice and comforts with understanding – wherever you call home.
Rather than focusing on tubes and medications to keep you alive as long as possible, in a sterile environment and without consideration for quality of life, High Peaks Hospice (HPH) focuses on the individual and his or her choices. Decisions are based on the wishes and desires of the individual and their families.
High Peaks Hospice Values
These are the values we live by to deliver Hospice care.
Compassion – We are driven to deliver compassion and caring in our daily work
- We value people and treat everyone, patients and coworkers, with compassion, care, dignity, respect and courtesy
- Patients and families come first
- We value quality of life
- We value the patient and family’s right to make an informed personal choice/decision
- We value skilled professional care provided by dedicated compassionate staff and trained volunteers
Appreciation – We recognize the value of each person’s role and care about each other’s success
- We value teamwork, open communication, and mutual respect for each other
- We value being part of our communities
Responsibility – We take pride in delivering our best effort every day
- We value integrity, honesty and ethical behavior
- We do the right thing
- We value safety and ensure and nurture a culture that is committed to the safety of everyone
- We provide our patients with the care we would desire for ourselves or our loved ones
Excellence – We are dedicated to providing high-quality care and exceeding expectations
- Our caregiving team – physicians, nurses, social workers, bereavement counselors, chaplains and volunteers –work collaboratively to offer physical, social, emotional and spiritual support
- We provide excellence to those we serve, they can always expect to receive the highest standard of care
Success – We are open to and embrace new ideas as we aim for success
- We approach new ideas creatively and with flexibility
How High Peaks Hospice is here to help:
Do you want to spend your last days in the comfort of your own home? Are there relationships that you would like to mend so you can die with the peace of mind knowing you did your best? Would you like help with practical matters such as establishing needed services, funeral plans, or other legal matters? Would caregivers like to be given respite? Is spirituality important to you?
These are just some of the questions that are asked by patients and their families and acted upon by the High Peaks Hospice staff.
The care provided is driven by patients and families. Our nurses and staff members ask: What do you need? How can we help? What can we offer to help plan for the months and weeks ahead?
Because you are encouraged to share your thoughts and visions of your final months and days our staff can help to make wishes come true. From the woman who wanted to throw herself a huge going away party, to reuniting family members and military friends, to horseback riding, visiting the ocean, seeing one final Nascar race, or attending a Nashville motorcycle rally. Helping these dreams come true is what hospice is all about.
We provide services to families in the following upstate NY counties:
The most misleading myth about hospice care is that hospice is about dying. Nothing could be further from the truth. The founder of the modern hospice movement, Dame Cicely Saunders, once wrote:
“You matter because you are. You matter to the last moment of your life. And we will do all we can to not only help you die peacefully, but also to help you live until you die”.
When faced with a terminal illness, people are often filled with fear. Often, this is fear of the unknown. Many questions can arise: What is it like to die? Will I be in pain? What will happen to my family? High peaks Hospice is here to address these questions with you. Staff and volunteers will provide the support and guidance patients and families need. By doing so, our hospice care provides hope, dignity, comfort and peace.
Our website is intended to share general information about High Peaks Hospice’s care, however every family’s situation is unique. For further information, questions, concerns or to learn about how we may support your specific needs, please contact us at 518-891-0606.