Become a member of our growing Hospice Team!
High Peaks Hospice has an immediate opening for a Hospice Social Worker in our northern catchment area.
The culture of High Peaks Hospice is mission-driven and community oriented. From our board of directors, clinical staff, circle of care team members, administrative staff, volunteers, and donors, the High Peaks Hospice community is filled with compassionate and dedicated individuals committed to providing comfort, peace, and dignity to the families we serve, at a time when it’s needed most.
We help individuals achieve a peaceful life closure, aligned with their values, wishes, choice and needs, while fully supporting their caregivers and loved ones along the way. We are proud to be the exclusive hospice provider for Warren and Essex Counties. We also serve Northern Hamilton and Washington Counties, Southern Franklin County and the Southeast corner of St. Lawrence County. As a member of the Hospice interdisciplinary team, the primary focus of the Social Worker is to respond to the emotional and psychological needs of the patients, their families, and hospice staff. The Social Worker provides concrete social work services and actively participates in developing patient/family care plans.
The hospice social worker provides direct counseling to patients/families, hospice staff, and volunteers as needed while acknowledging and respecting their beliefs, culture and values related to life’s meaning including suffering and loss and a desire to receive support.
Reports to the Circle of Care Team Leader.
Key Areas of Responsibility
● Develops the plan of care for emotional and psychological needs of the patients and their families in conjunction with the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) utilizing concrete social work services.
● Participates in IDT meetings.
● Maintains documentation of social work services in patient’s medical records according to agency policy.
● Acquires ongoing education and training through conferences, meetings, and current literature.
● Elicits and listens to the story of patient, family and friends encouraging life review.
● Knowledge of and availability to perform patient intakes and information visits as needed including explanation of the hospice benefit/Medicare, complete physical assessment, completion of all pertinent paperwork, and communication of new patient status to the hospice team.
● Participate in hospice and community health programs as requested to promote the growth and understanding of the hospice concept.
● Attend or assist at events and services, some of which may be during evening or weekend hours.
● Performs other duties as assigned, consistent with skills and training and the mission and goals of the agency.
Qualifications & Skills
Masters of Social Work degree from an accredited college or university.
Hospice experience and/or equivalent education is preferred.
Excellent counseling, advocacy and collaboration skills.
Knowledge of family and group treatment, community resources and the dynamics of terminal illness, grief, and bereavement.
High levels of interpersonal skill, knowledge regarding family dynamics, issues of death and dying.
Ability to work in a collaborative team relationship.
Must have a current New York State driver’s license.
Must have 24-hour access to a motor vehicle and maintain personal auto liability insurance coverage.
Able to cope with emotional stress and be tolerant of individual lifestyles.
Sensitive to the needs of terminally ill patients and families and one’s own feelings about dying and death.
Must meet all local health regulations.
Basic computer skills are desirable.
Must have flexible schedule.
Must be capable of performing the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
High Peaks Hospice provides end-of-life care that listens with respect, cares with compassion, supports with choice, and comforts with understanding – wherever you call home.
Click here for the full printable job description
Submit an application (Click here to download) along with your resume and cover letter today to apply.
FAX OR EMAIL:
High Peaks Hospice – Attn HR Dept
454 Glen street
Glens Falls, NY 12801
Please call Bronwen Compo, HR Specialist with any questions at 518-891-0606.